History

With the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959 to Ocean Ships the era of pilotage began on the Great Lakes. Lake Superior pilots was formed soon after the opening of the Seaway, and a few years later Upper Great Lakes Pilots was formed to provide pilotage service on the upper Great Lakes.
     Upper Great Lakes Pilots was dissolved in 1992, and Western Great Lakes Pilots was formed to take Upper’s place. Since that time, Western Great Lakes Pilots Association has been providing pilotage service on Lakes Huron, Michigan, and Superior as well as the St. Mary’s River. Our office is located in Superior, Wisconsin.  We employ 3 dispatchers, a controller, and an administrative assistant.